The Rolanstar electric standing desk does not have many reviews online. And if you try to hover through the net or Youtube, you’ll just get a couple of advertising pitches. Also, very few influences have really tried the desk for themselves. And this will make you skeptical if you’ll buy the desk.
- FEZIBO vs FLEXISPOT standing desk showdown – who win?
- Top 5 Best electric standing desks in 2021 (and why I chose these brands)
It costs less than 350 bucks and the entire look of the desk is honestly pretty promising because of all the extras. It has bells and whistles. It seems to have additional features that other electric standing desks do not offer. Or if they do, you have to purchase these accessories separately.
So that made us curious and we decided to try this standing desk brand out.
Rolanstar comes in two lengths, a 47 ‘ and 55 “ desk. For this particular review, we are using the 47” Rolanstar dual electric desk.
And let’s see what makes this desk one of the best ones for students.
Lots of features at a decent price
As we have mentioned above, the Rolanstar has pretty impressive features at a good price. Sounds too good to be true? Yeah, we thought so too.
So before we cherry-pick each spec and feature, here is a table showing what you can expect with this unit
|Weight capacity||176 lbs|
|features||2 memory preset
Pull out drawer
USB charging ports
Rolanstar features a two-tier desk. It reminds us a lot of the Stand Steady Tranzendesk, only that it’s a manual unit.
A two-tier desk does offer additional benefits. The top tier acts as a monitor stand so you can set your monitors at the ideal eye level without the need to buy monitor arms or stands.
We go to the smaller 47” inch desk, but we still find it quite roomy. You can place both a monitor and a laptop, or can even have a 2 monitor setup on the second tier. That will leave the first tier for a full keyboard and a lot of items and peripherals.
And if you’ll see the inclusions that we have enlisted above, it also has a drawer and a cable tray, and a side hook. And you don’t have to pay extra for all those.
We love the add ons but we had to look twice if the drawer is a legit drawer or just a cable tray. When you try to hover through Amazon, you can see a sample photo of the desk, the drawer looks like a legit drawer with side panels. Though it doesn’t occupy the entire length of the desk, it looks pretty roomy and deep.
But then it’s a different story once we have completed the setup. We were quite displeased with it. Not that it’s flimsy or what but because we have high expectations because of what we saw in the photos.
In-person, it looks more like a keyboard tray and is quite similar to the one you can find in an iMover Lander desk if you add on a drawer. The size and the lack of side panels, they’re both the same.
Though you can still place books and documents, it will not be able to hold small items like pencils without the risk of not slipping to the sides. That’s why you should also check videos of standing desks that you fancy, they will be able to show you what the desks look pretty much compared to photos.
You will be able to find a few videos of Rolanstar. We were able to spot 1-2 legit reviews, but everything else was marketing and advertising pitches.
Stable and sturdy even for slightly taller folks
At a glance, the legs of the Rolanstar desk look shiny and posh. It’s made of steel and has this black shiny finish. And the frames and legs feel pretty sturdy and stable. The lack of plastic and aluminum parts makes this underrated desk pretty solid and stable.
The desk can go as high as 48 inches, and the stability score is a 9 to 9.5 out of 10. It moved a bit when we tried to push the desk side to side, but it did need a little more force.
It even feels more stable than a Jarvis or an Uplift desk when they’re at the highest setting. So this is a pretty solid desk that even those who are slightly taller will find a good purchase.
One of the things that can also make a standing desk sturdy is the tabletop. We have reviewed several units that come in 2 pieces such as the SHW standing desk. And though the price point is lower, the two-part desktop can be a bother for two reasons.
One, it could have been more solid should the desk come in a single piece. Two, it adds up to the time you’re going to spend setting up the desk.
You might even need someone to hold the other part of the desk so that you’ll be able to attach the two parts evenly and tightly. And three, the obvious demarcation line can be an eyesore. And oh, there can be a bit of shaking at the part where the two planks meet.
And the tabletop of Rolanstar is solid, stable, and comes in one piece. You’ll also get the nice, though faux, wood grain on the first and second tier.
You can choose from two color options, brown and black. The design of the desk is not everyone’s slice of cake. Though it does not look tacky, the faux woodgrain might not appeal to those who used a full-on wood tabletop before.
The reasons why you have to buy it
- It’s a pretty sturdy standing desk for its price. The metal frames are strong and serve as a solid foundation for the desk. And when coupled with a solid one-piece tabletop, it’s sturdy even at the max height.
- It has a lot of inclusions at no added price. It has USB ports, a hook for hanging your headphones, and a drawer.
So students will be able to afford it while still getting the accessories that they need. It’s conducive for home learning.
- The two-tiered desktop is bliss, both of your budget and your workspace. There’s no need to buy a monitor stand if you find the height of the second tier working for you. And for those who are of average height to slightly taller folks, it can suffice.
- The transitioning of the desk is pretty fast and it’s quiet too. So you can really tell that it’s a sturdy piece.
- The cable tray is better than just having zip ties and hooks where you can loop your wires and cable through. Even the basic unit of Fully only has hooks and you need to purchase the cable tray separately. So the added cable tray is a sweet bonus. It’s also a bit roomy and you can still try to squeeze in chunky wires and cables and it will fit.
- The desk itself is very roomy. You have the whole desk to place your documents and paraphernalia. That also makes this an ideal desk for students who also have writing tasks to do. Or if you have blueprints to work on, you can spread these on the entire desk and still have your monitors accessible on the second tier.
- The weight capacity of the desk is 176 lbs. It has a higher weight capacity than other desks in its price range, like the SHW. And the Rolastar is more stable too, though you’ll have more memory presets with the SHW. But if you’re after stability, the Rolanstar can beat the SHW desk with no effort.
Why you should think twice
- The Rolanstar dual standing desk is not really the most handsome-looking desk. The desk is made of laminate with faux wood grains. It does not look cheap, some still find the faux wood grain on the black-colored tabletop a bit tacky.
- If one of your primary reasons for choosing the desk is because of the deep and legit drawer you saw in the photos and advertisement, look for other brands such as the SEVILLE Airlift. The photo can be deceiving.
- The desk only has 2 memory presets. So this could be enough if you’re the only one using the desk. But if two or more people are sharing the desk, the 2 memory presets might not be enough. Well unless they have the same preferred height settings.
- The customer service can be really annoying. There were complaints of receiving the item with a few missing parts. And you’ll have a hard time getting in touch with customer service.
So if you need to use the desk asap and you, unfortunately, receive the unit with missing parts, it might take a few weeks. That’s why many will say that it’s a great desk if you do get all the parts during shipping. Because if you don’t, it can take weeks before customer service can get back in touch with you.
A great desk for those who are willing to wait
We were pleasantly surprised at how stable and solid this underrated electric standing desk is. And for a price under 350 dollars, you’ll not regret it. But make sure that you do not need the desk asap. There are several complaints about missing parts and you might get unlucky. And customer service can take a while to send the missing parts, let alone get back to you.
So unless you need it asap, this desk is a good buy.
We highly recommend it for students since you most likely will not need an elaborate monitor setup but need more space to write and do other tasks at the same time.